There is much to do in the Texas Hill Country and we are almost equal distances between San Antonio, Boerne, and Bandera…an easy drive to Fredericksburg, San Antonio, New Braunfels/Gruene, San Marcus, and Austin (though a bit further). Here are a few of our CLOSE BY favorites:
What is special about Pipe Creek? Clean air, beautiful hills, peaceful and quiet serenity, and far away from the maddening crowd! From here, you can “day-trip” to almost all of the HILL COUNTRY CITIES so it makes a great home base to travel from. Plus, awesome local options!
- FOOD: Backyard Bistro – Farm to Market options with a cute outside area. Music on many Saturday nights. Best “close by” restaurant plus wonderful home-made ice cream.
- SHOPPING: Country Accents Antiques (it is in FRONT of the Backyard Bistro – making it a bit hard to find the Bistro… we think you’d enjoy checking out both!)
- FUN: Our guest rave about the authentic Horseback riding experience at Cross G Ranch
FUN: Brighter Days Horse Rescue (Saturdays) Make a new friend….Bring a bag of apples, carrots or opt to feed a horse-on-the-mend for the year!
- FUN: Book a “Clay Play” date or individual session with Margaret Calloway – 830.688.1105
- REJUVENATING: Sit on the porch and look at the stars, listen to nature, enjoy the crackle, smell and glow of the fire pit at Bella Green
- REJUVENATING: Take a walk up or down the hills near Bella Green or explore the secret path.
- REJUVENATING: Soak in the warm Hot tub at Bella Green (advance reservation required)
- REJUVENATING: Book a Massage, Aromatherapy Scrub (weather permitting) &/or Infra-red Sauna session at Bella Green (call for details).
What is special about Boerne? Year round parades, festivals and cultural events fill the air with music and merriment. The Kendall County Fair, Chocolate Walk, Berges Fest, Wings Over Boerne, Parade of Artists, Cibolo Songs & Stories, Harvest Moon Celebration, Abendkonzerte, Weihnachts Fest, Dickens on Main, Boerne Market Days and the Key to the Hills Rod Run are some of the activities that draw people from near and far away. http://www.visitboerne.org/
Our recommended favorites include:
- SHOPPING: EVERYTHING on Main Street (great boutiques, antique stores, and resale shops!)
- FOOD: 259 Brantley’s Bistro+Drink Texas Biergarten is directly behind it (Saturday live music)
FOOD: Dodging Duck Brewhaus
FOOD: Cypress Grill
FOOD: Chilito’s Express
FOOD: Piknik Cafe (inside Nature’s Presence Health Food Store)
FOOD: Dog and Pony Grill – best salad bar in the area
- FUN: 2nd Saturdays Art Walk and FREE Shuttle Bus (monthly during Market Days!)
FUN: Cave Without a Name & Cascade Caverns
FUN: River Road Park (bring bread to feed the ducks) &/or walk the old train tracks
FUN: Cibolo Nature Center
FUN: Enchanted Springs Ranch
- FUN: Performing Arts – Boerne Community Theater and Boerne Performing Arts
- Like Wine?: Boerne Wine Company
- Like Beer? – Drink Texas Biergarten – Random Beer Garden – Dodging Duck Brewhaus – Boerne Brewery (free tasting tours on Fridays only from 2-4:45pm)
What is special about Bandera – The Cowboy Capital of the World?
Visiting Bandera is like stepping back to an old-time rustic Western town, full of dude ranches, cattle and horses, trial rides, and where chivalry, live music and dancing abounds. There is a spirit of independence, and chivalry here – and a special pride that speaks to the cowboy tradition of hard work and hard play. http://banderacowboycapital.com/contents.cfm?pg=todo
Our recommended favorites include:
- FUN: Horseback riding – MANY options to choose from (contact Hill Country State Natural for providers or try www.dixieduderanch.com, www.facebook.com/pages/Juniper-Hill-Stables, www.silverspur-ranch.com)
FUN: 11th Street Bar (www.11thstreetcowboybar.com) – best ambiance for LIVE MUSIC!
FUN: Hill Country State Natural Area (http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/hill-country)
FUN: Polly Peak Chapel (www.pollytexaspioneerassociation.org)
FUN: Rodeos – seasonal (www.banderaprorodeo.org)
- SHOPPING: Gunslinger’s (www.gunslingerofbandera.com), Graceful, The Western Store
- FOOD: Brick’s River Cafe (www.bricksrivercafe.com)
FOOD: Doglegg Coffee House (www.facebook.com/pages/Dogleg-Coffeehouse)
FOOD: China Bowl on Main Street by the courthouse
FOOD/SHOPPING: Bandera General Store (We love their Soda Fountain!)
In San Antonio:
In San Antonio – our favorites include the Riverwalk (and Boudro’s to eat), walking the SA Missions, Pearl Brewery area – especially their Farmer’s Market and many fabulous restaurants, the SA zoo, the botanical gardens, Seaworld, Fiesta Texas, the majestic homes in King Williams (and Mad Hatter Tea in this area), the trolley cars, bike rentals along the Riverwalk, and both Riverboat and Segway tours. WE LOVE THIS BIG CITY!! http://visitsanantonio.com/
Other favorites to explore:
- In Sisterdale/Comfort/Fredericksburg – Don’t miss the wine tours and tastings, antiques and shopping; Enchanted Rock (contact Texas Climbing Adventures if you want to climb), Wildseed Farms, Main Street(s), Medina Hoff Winery, Artisan’s at Rocky Hill, helicopter tours, Sunset Grill (Fredericksburg), High’s Cafe (Comfort), Fredericksburb Herb Farm, the Sculpture Ranch (Fredericksburg), and roadside peaches when in season!
- In Vanderpool – Lost Maples State Park (especially beautiful in the Fall)
- In San Marcus – this is our FAVORITE river to tube and if you enjoy shopping, don’t miss the the GIANT outlet mall; Food favorites: Shade Rooftop Patio Bar, Boho Bites and for fun, Dick’s Classic Garage.
- In Gruene – It is fun to walk and explore the “old town” square and its many shops, restaurants, galleries, and music. Some favorite dining spots are Gruene River Grill, Riverhouse Tea Room, Mosie’s Bar and Grill, and Boho Bites.
- In New Braunfels – You can’t beat Schliterbaum Water Park for a maximum impact water experience, Landa Park has a wonderful natural swimming hole with ropes to swing from, and don’t forget to refuel at Buckee’s (the most interesting, largest convenience store in Texas -best bathrooms too)
- In Austin – a hidden favorite is the Hamilton Pool (waterfalls) on the Pedernales River, Zilker Park, Barton Springs, Lake Travis, the bats at Congress Ave. Bridge, Whole Foods (its ORIGINAL location), the many food trucks, Shady Grove Restaurant, Jester King Brewery, and much more!To find LIVE MUSIC locally: http://www.reverbnation.com/main/local_scene
DID YOU DO SOMETHING SPECIAL THAT YOU REALLY LIKED? Share below…